Sunday, March 29, 2009

Monument Ave 10K 1h24m

I know I'm really horrible about actually updating our blog, sorry. So yesterday was the 10th annual Ukrop's Monument Ave 10K. Way back at the beginning of the year, April suggested that I do the 10k this year. She has done it many times and loved it. So I thought hey, why not. There was plenty of time to train to run 6.2 miles. I hate running on treadmills and so with the weather being cold or rainy most of the weekends, I found that my training for the 10k basically became non existant. I can't remember that last time I ran a mile let alone anything more than half a mile. I like to walk or do other types of exercise. But running to support cancer research and in honor of my grandmother sounded like a good idea. So a week before the race, April and I set out to do a little run, or so I thought. 4 miles later we stopped for the day. Later that evening I could not walk down the stairs, I had done something to my leg. Eventually it subsided and everthing was back to normal. Then yesterday was the actual race day. We got ourselves all fueled up and headed out. As we approached the starting line i started to get excited and was glad to be a part of it all. And it began. About half way through the first mile my leg started hurting again. By the time I reached the first mile it became almost unbearable. I spent the rest of the race doing intervals of running until it hurt too much, then stopped to stretch and walk a bit then ran again. I did this for the remaining of the race. By the time the 6 mile mark came up I knew I was almost there. I pushed through it horrible pain to the end. I had done it! I completed the race in 1 hour and 24 minutes. I was proud of myself for pushing through it! With lots of heat and ice my leg is feeling better today, but not 100%. I'm looking forward to doing a monthly run of atleast 4 miles and actually training for it next year. Lots of thanks for everyone who comes out and cheers all of us on. It really makes a difference. And congrats to everyone who participated yesterday!!

2 comments:

Brady and Rachel said...

Way to go WHIT! Nice time especially for having a hurt leg. I couldn't do it with a healthy leg in that time. I also hate running on treadmills, etc. Hope your leg heals completely and quickly. Glad to see a post FINALLY!

David & Vanessa said...

You guys need to keep this more updated!! AND...we need to do something!